Views Bangladesh Logo

Iran warns of 'major third-phase punishment' if US makes mistake

VB Desk,  International

VB Desk, International

Iran has placed its armed forces on full alert, prepared for any scenario amid the belligerent postures of the United States and Israel. Tehran has said that while initial indications of a memorandum of understanding with Washington have emerged, it is ready for any possibility of talks failing. Iran had previously made it clear that it would enter negotiations with its finger on the trigger.

Iranian state media Tasnim News Agency reported that the proposed memorandum includes an extension of the ceasefire by 60 days. However, Tehran has warned that if the US commits any aggression during this truce period, the response will be far more severe and devastating than ever before.

A Iranian military source told Tasnim that if the US miscalculates again and takes any "criminal" step against Iran, it will face Iran's "third phase of confrontation". The source claimed that this new strategy will be completely different and more destructive than the previous two conflicts in terms of tactics, military methods, targets and weaponry.

US President Donald Trump had announced that a peace deal with Iran was close to being finalised. Tehran later also gave positive signals. Three senior Iranian officials confirmed that Iran has agreed to the memorandum to fully end the ongoing war and reopen the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz.

Meanwhile, Tehran has accused Washington of shifting its position in finalising the agreement. Tasnim reported on Sunday, May 24, that the US administration is obstructing the negotiation process, prompting Iran to respond with tough counter-conditions.

Iran has insisted on the release of its frozen assets in various countries. The military source said Iran is demanding the return of a specific portion of its frozen assets in the first phase of the agreement, and will not sign any deal without a clear, reliable and practical system for the phased and guaranteed transfer of the remaining assets.

Tehran has made this position clear to Pakistani mediators and several regional countries involved in the talks. Iran has stated it will not retreat from its red lines. Given the history of US attacks even as negotiations were ongoing, Tehran is not willing to rely on vague paper promises this time.

Leave A Comment

You need login first to leave a comment

Trending Views