JSD leaders among 5 injured in gunfight at Cox’s Bazar court premises
At least five people, including two leaders of the Jatiyatabadi Swechchhasebak Dal (JSD), were injured in a gunfight between two rival groups at the Cox’s Bazar court premises on Sunday (May 24), triggering panic among litigants and bystanders.
The incident took place around 11:30am at the Cox’s Bazar District and Sessions Judge Court-2 premises.
Police said two of the injured sustained bullet wounds.
The injured were identified as Mohiuddin and Rony, both local leaders of the Swechchhasebak Dal. The identities of the other three injured victims could not be confirmed immediately.
According to police and eyewitnesses, Liaquat Ali Member, general secretary of the Jhilongja union BNP in Sadar upazila, arrived at the court along with his associates to attend a hearing in a case. As they were leaving the court premises after the hearing, rivals allegedly opened fire targeting his group.
The attack soon escalated into a chase and counter-chase between the two sides, accompanied by several rounds of gunfire inside the court area, spreading fear among lawyers, litigants and members of the public present at the scene.
Law enforcers rushed to the spot shortly after the incident, cordoned off the court premises and brought the situation under control. The injured were later taken to Cox’s Bazar Sadar Hospital for treatment.
Additional Superintendent of Police Ahidur Rahman confirmed the incident and said three suspects had been detained so far in connection with the clash. Police also recovered a locally made weapon from the scene.
He added that an investigation is underway to determine the motive behind the attack and identify all those involved.

Leave A Comment
You need login first to leave a comment