Measles death toll in Sylhet rise to 51
The number of deaths linked to measles infection and suspected symptoms in Sylhet division has risen to 51 as the outbreak continues to spread across the region, according to health officials.
In the last 24 hours, four children died while undergoing treatment at two major hospitals, officials from the Sylhet Divisional Health Director’s Office said in a report issued on Saturday (May 23).
The deaths were reported from Shahid Shamsuddin Ahmed Hospital and Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical College Hospital. Two of the children were from Sylhet Sadar and Beanibazar, while the others were from Moulvibazar and Sunamganj districts.
According to the report, of the total 51 deaths recorded so far in the division, four were confirmed measles cases, while 47 were classified as deaths with measles-like symptoms.
In the past 24 hours alone, 158 new patients with measles infection or related symptoms were admitted to various hospitals across Sylhet. At present, 295 patients are receiving treatment in different health facilities.
Health authorities also noted that no new confirmed measles cases were detected through laboratory testing during this period, despite the rising number of symptomatic cases and fatalities.
Officials said surveillance and treatment efforts are ongoing as hospitals continue to manage a growing patient load amid the outbreak.

Leave A Comment
You need login first to leave a comment