Views Bangladesh Logo

Ronaldo hints 2026 could be his final year in professional football

Sports Desk

Sports Desk

Cristiano Ronaldo has given his clearest indication yet that he could retire from professional football by the end of 2026, saying he wants to leave the game with an “extraordinary legacy.”

The 41-year-old Portugal captain made the remarks in an interview with Vogue published Sunday, suggesting he could walk away from the sport before the end of his contract with Saudi Arabian club Al Nassr, which runs until June 2027.

“Probably, this is my last year in football,” Ronaldo said, adding that he wanted to leave behind a remarkable legacy.

Ronaldo has previously discussed retirement but stopped short of setting a timeframe. In November, he said he could continue playing for another year or two and had already identified the 2026 World Cup as likely to be his final appearance at the tournament.

Portugal were eliminated by Spain in the last 16 of the 2026 World Cup, but Ronaldo continued his club career with Al Nassr. His latest comments, however, indicate that his playing days could now be approaching their final months.

The five-time Ballon d’Or winner has also begun looking beyond football. He told Vogue that retirement would allow him to spend more time with his family, travel, play padel and enjoy the achievements of a career that has spanned nearly 25 years.

Ronaldo began his professional career with Sporting CP before moving to Manchester United, Real Madrid and Juventus. He joined Al Nassr in January 2023.

His nine-year spell at Real Madrid produced 450 goals in 438 appearances, making him the club’s all-time leading scorer. He also holds the record for the most international goals in men’s football.

Ronaldo recently married his longtime partner Georgina Rodríguez in an intimate ceremony in Cascais, Portugal, on August 11. His comments about life after football come as he enters a new phase of both his personal and professional life.

Leave A Comment

Avatar

Trending Views