Trump was inside White House during gunfire, says Secret Service
US President Donald Trump was inside the White House when gunfire erupted near the presidential complex on Saturday evening (May 23), the US Secret Service confirmed in a statement.
The shooting took place near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, just outside the White House perimeter, shortly before 6:00pm (local time).
According to officials, an armed man suddenly pulled a firearm from his bag and opened fire, triggering panic in the area.
Secret Service personnel assigned to presidential security responded immediately, engaging the suspect in a brief exchange of gunfire. The suspect was critically wounded in the shootout and later pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.
Soon after the incident, several Republican lawmakers posted on social media confirming that Trump was unharmed and remained safe inside the White House throughout the shooting.
The Secret Service said none of its agents were injured during the confrontation. However, at least one bystander was reportedly wounded after being caught in the crossfire.
According to a report by CBS News, the deceased suspect was identified as 21-year-old Nasir Best, who had reportedly been under Secret Service surveillance due to prior security concerns and a history of mental health issues.
Authorities said Best had previously attempted to force his way into the White House in July 2025. Following that incident, he was arrested and later transferred to a psychiatric treatment facility.
In the aftermath of the shooting, security measures were significantly tightened around the White House and across key areas of Washington, D.C.
US authorities said several roads surrounding the presidential complex would remain closed until security assessments and the investigation are completed.

Leave A Comment
You need login first to leave a comment