Ayas refuses police help despite filing verbal complaint of attack
ANM Ayas, member secretary of the State Dialogue Forum (SDF), went to Bhaluka Model Police Station in Mymensingh and lodged a verbal complaint alleging that leaders and activists of the banned Awami League and Chhatra League had attacked him. Police offered him assistance, but he declined it.
Bhaluka Model Police Station Officer-in-Charge (OC) Mohammad Zahidul Islam said police had intensified patrols after receiving a phone call from Dhaka on Sunday reporting Ayas missing.
Later that evening, Ayas himself went to the police station and verbally complained that he had been attacked.
The OC said Ayas stayed at the station for about 10 minutes after drinking some water before leaving alone. When police offered him protection, Ayas reportedly said, “My people are outside.”
In his verbal complaint, Ayas said he had gone to Bhaluka on Sunday afternoon for organisational work when 15 to 20 leaders and activists of the Awami League and Chhatra League attacked him.
He alleged that the attackers assaulted him with locally made weapons and at one point tried to force him into a microbus.
Speaking on Monday morning, Ayas said he would file a formal complaint with the police that day over the alleged attack.
Meanwhile, SDF central leader Shah Al Badsha claimed that Ayas was receiving treatment at a hospital following the attack.
He also alleged that Ayas had been receiving death threats by phone and through social media from both Bangladesh and abroad.
Earlier, on August 15, Ayas was accused of leading a group of people involved in assaulting several individuals in front of the demolished residence of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman at Dhanmondi 32 in the capital.
The victims were allegedly beaten for chanting “Joy Bangla,” recording videos on their mobile phones and distributing singaras. Two people were handed over to police in connection with the incident.
Leave A Comment