Dhaka University hall clash leaves VP, GS among six injured
A confrontation erupted at Dhaka University Fazlul Huq Muslim Hall early Monday (August 17) after student protests demanding the resignation of the hall provost escalated into a clash involving activists of the Bangladesh Jatiotabadi Chhatra Dal, leaving at least six people injured, including the hall’s vice-president and general secretary.
The incident occurred around 2:45am when Chhatra Dal activists went to the provost’s office to bring him out amid a student blockade. The protesters had been demanding action over allegations that a student was confined and assaulted inside the provost’s office.
Those injured include hall parliament Vice-President Abu Naim and General Secretary Imam-ul Hasan. They were taken to Dhaka Medical College Hospital for treatment. Hasan reportedly sustained more serious injuries, according to fellow students.
Earlier, two pro-vice-chancellors, the acting proctor and several assistant proctors went to the office in an attempt to defuse the situation and bring the provost out. Witnesses said students briefly prevented some university officials from leaving the office. The two pro-vice-chancellors later left, while acting proctor Prof Israfail Prang remained there for some time.
Tensions intensified when a Chhatra Dal procession arrived outside the provost’s office, where the hall VP, GS and several students were already demonstrating. Witnesses said the two sides exchanged pushes before the situation turned into a physical altercation, injuring several students.
The acting proctor also reportedly fell after being pushed during the confrontation. Some Chhatra Dal activists later helped him leave the area.
Following the clash, Hasan was seen lying on the floor, while Naim’s clothes were reportedly torn. The injured were subsequently taken to hospital.
There were also allegations that journalists were prevented from recording the incident. Mallik Wasi Tami, office secretary of Dhaka University Chhatra Dal, denied the allegation, saying no journalist had been obstructed. He said Chhatra Dal activists went to the hall after receiving information that activists of Islami Chhatra Shibir from another hall were present there.
Meanwhile, Ibrahim, the student at the centre of the original allegations, said the failure to release CCTV footage had prevented the full circumstances from becoming clear. He claimed students had repeatedly sought access to footage from the evening through late night but were denied on various grounds.
According to Ibrahim, students subsequently entered the provost’s office. He alleged that the original incident had been overshadowed by a political confrontation between Chhatra Dal and Chhatra Shibir.
No final disciplinary action has yet been announced against anyone over the original allegations or the subsequent confrontation. The hall remains tense as students continue their protest demanding the provost’s resignation, while rival student groups are also organising counter-programmes.
Leave A Comment