Sagar-Runi murder: Justice a far cry even after 13 years
There is still no visible progress in the investigation into the gruesome murder of journalist couple Sagar Sarwar and Meherun Runi even after long 13 years.
So far, submission of the investigation report to the court has been postponed 115 times.
The journalist couple were brutally murdered in their rented flat in Dhaka's West Rajabazar on 11 February 2012, in the presence of their four-year-old son Mahir Sarwar Megh.
Initially handled by local police, the investigation was later taken over by the Detective Branch, the Criminal Investigation Department and the elite Rapid Action Battalion (RAB).
However, the results have been disappointing. The investigation has been delayed a staggering 115 times in court. Despite multiple extensions, RAB has failed to submit its report after seeking 111 extensions over the past 13 years.
The Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI) has now taken over the investigation of the case from the RAB. However, those involved in the investigation are not able to say anything about the completion of the investigation of the case yet. Although PBI has said that it will submit the report in due time.
Runi's brother Nowsher Alam Roman, who filed the double murder case with Sher-e-Bangla Nagar Police Station on February 12, 2012, now wants to keep faith in the investigators after the fall of Sheikh Hasina-led government on August 5 last year.
"We want the identity of the killers to be disclosed through a fair investigation. We hope the incumbent government cracks the real mystery of this incident at least," Roman told this newspaper.
We now see some glimmers of hope after the new investigating agency took charge of the probe. There is a time frame of six months to submit the report. How optimistic we are about getting justice will be understood from that report," he said.
On the other hand, Sagar's mother Saleha Monir is tired of waiting for justice. She wants to see the trial of the murder of her son and daughter-in-law at the end of her life. She said, "Why was my Sagar killed? Who killed him? I haven't been to my son's grave yet. Runi's mother is gone (dead). Now I am alone. I am looking to Allah for justice.”
Regarding the investigation, she said, "RAB will not be able to investigate this case. They have wasted time again and again. I said then, if they can't investigate, let's leave the investigation. Now they have given it to another organisation. Let's see what they do. I hope that a proper investigation will be conducted during the Yunus government. They will find out the murderers of my Sagar."
After the killings, eight suspects -- Kamrul Islam alias Arun, Abu Sayeed, Rafiqul Islam, Bakul Miah, Masum Mintu, Palash Rudra Paul, Anamul Haque alias Humayun Kabir and Tanveer Rahman Khan -- were arrested. Tanveer and Palash are now out of jail, while the others are behind bars.
The plaintiff’s lawyer Mohammad Abu Sayeed Siddiqui said, "We are exhausted with the case. Various agencies are investigating again and again. There has been no visible progress so far. We are exhausted. We want relief."
After the case was filed, Sher-e-Bangla Nagar Police Station was tasked with the investigation, which was handed over to the Detective Branch (DB) of police three days later on February 16, 2012. The DB conducted an investigation till April 18 that year.
The case was transferred to RAB in April 2012. The force conducted the probe till November 3 last year.
The next day (November 4, 2024), PIB took over the charge of investigation into the case following a High Court order. On October 23 last year, a four-member task force was formed to investigate the case where the chief of the Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI) was made the convener.
The task force has been asked to submit its report to the High Court within six months after completing the investigation.
After taking the investigation charge, the PBI appealed to a Dhaka court to interrogate Maj Gen (sacked) Ziaul Ahsan, former Additional Deputy Inspector General (DIG) of police Mashiur Rahman and accused Humayun Kabir in connection with the case between January 8 and February 10 this year. The court granted their applications.
Investigation Officer Azizul Haque, an additional SP of PBI, told the media yesterday (Monday, February 10), "As the investigation is ongoing, we cannot disclose any progress at this moment."
On January 27 this year, the court set March 2 for submitting the probe report.
Today, Dhaka Reporters Unity will organise a protest rally on its premises, seeking justice.
Leave A Comment
You need login first to leave a comment