Three policemen withdrawn after clash with madrasa students in Brahmanbaria
Three police personnel have been withdrawn from duty and attached to the police lines in Brahmanbaria following a clash between police and madrasa students over a cultural programme at the district police lines.
A three-member committee has also been formed to investigate the incident, including the circumstances leading to the clash and the role of police personnel.
The confrontation took place around 11:30pm on Tuesday (August 18) at the police lines in West Medda. A cultural programme had been organised there during a visit by Chattogram Range DIG Abdul Quddus Chowdhury.
According to police and local sources, the programme continued with loud music even after the DIG had left the venue. Students of the nearby Jamia Darul Arqam Al-Islamia Madrasa reportedly went to the police lines and asked organisers to reduce the volume.
An argument subsequently broke out between the students and police personnel before the situation escalated into a clash.
Witnesses and local sources said police used batons to disperse the students, who responded by throwing bricks and stones. At least 30 people, including police personnel and madrasa students, were injured in the confrontation. The injured were taken to Brahmanbaria District Sadar Hospital and other medical facilities for treatment.
The clash also forced the cultural programme organised by the district police to be stopped.
In a statement issued by its media wing on Wednesday afternoon, Brahmanbaria district police said three personnel had been withdrawn from all duties over alleged lapses while performing security responsibilities at the main gate and compound of the police lines.
The district police also formed a three-member inquiry committee headed by Additional Superintendent of Police (Administration and Finance) Md Obaidur Rahman.
The committee has been instructed to examine the circumstances and causes of the incident and submit its findings promptly. Administrative action will be taken against those found responsible based on the investigation report, police said.
Superintendent of Police Shah Mohammad Abdur Rauf said CCTV footage would also be reviewed and legal action would be taken if anyone is found responsible for the incident.
Security has been tightened around the police lines and adjoining areas following the clash. Madrasa authorities, meanwhile, described the incident as unfortunate and alleged that their requests to avoid holding a programme at excessive volume had been ignored.
Leave A Comment