Ex-Major Sadik arrested in Khilkhet anti-terror case
A court has ordered former Major Md Sadikul Haque to be shown arrested in a case filed under the Anti-Terrorism Act at Khilkhet Police Station. Metropolitan Magistrate Arifur Rahman passed the order on Tuesday, August 18, following an application by the investigation officer. SI Tarekur Rahman confirmed the matter.
Former Major Sadik, who was dismissed from the army, was previously sentenced to three months' imprisonment by a military court on October 29, 2024. He was later sent to jail. Subsequently, he was shown arrested in another anti-terror case filed at Bhatara Police Station. He obtained bail from the High Court in that case on June 29.
Earlier, on August 7, Bhatara Police had applied to show Sadik arrested in a case over setting fire to a private car in the Basundhara area. The investigation officer claimed the incident was carried out during a 'Complete Shutdown' programme on November 11, 2025, with the aim of destabilising the country, and that Sadik was directly and indirectly involved.
However, during the hearing on that application, Sadik's lawyer H M Al-Amin questioned how his client, who was in jail at the time of the incident, could be involved in the arson case. The court then asked the Bhatara Police Station OC and investigation officer to explain the matter. After the IO submitted a written explanation, the court declined to show Sadik arrested in that case.
Following this, Sadik's lawyer said there was no bar to his release as there was no detention order in any other case. However, immediately after, an application was filed to show him arrested in a case at Khilkhet Police Station. When he was produced before the court on Tuesday for hearing, the court ordered him shown arrested in that case and sent to jail after hearing both sides.
According to the case's FIR, on May 17 last year, police arrested several individuals dismissed from the army while they were carrying out sabotage activities in the Khilkhet Bazar area. The complaint said that after being dismissed, they were using a social media platform called 'Sohojoddha' to spread inciteful speeches aimed at tarnishing the image and reputation of the army and disrupting the security of Dhaka Cantonment.
Azizul Islam of Dhaka Cantonment's Headquarters Logistics Area filed the case with Khilkhet Police Station the following day. Former Major Sadikul Haque was shown arrested in the case on Tuesday as part of the ongoing investigation.
Leave A Comment